Sunday, August 16, 2015

Memories: Aunt Hannah

In loving memory of my aunt 

This pattern, this GIF, reminds me of my Aunt Hannah, my father's younger sister. She died when I was a young boy. It brings back memories of a dress she wore to church. I can see her in the back seat of the car, a 1952 Nash, wearing a small head snugging hat with a wisp of black net, her fingers busily moving over the bumps of a large book on her lap, as she read her braille scriptures in preparation for Sunday School. She wore round glasses with very thick lenses. Like her father before her she could see only light and dark and movement of shadowy masses. She was thin and frail and serious with little patience for noisy, fidgety children. She was a stern, mysterious figure to me then. I think now I understand her better and respect her resolve, dedication and strength.
Hannah Elmer
 
Hannah Elmer
Viola, Hannah, Lillie, Myrtle, Laura, & Trine Louise [seated] 1958

1 comment:

  1. You made me think of her too but I don't remember the pattern.

    ReplyDelete