Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hit and Run - Review


Hit and Run

(2012)
Action | Comedy | Romance
100 min.

Rated: R

Directors: David Palmer, Dax Shepard
Writer: Dax Shepard (screenplay)
Stars: Dax Shepard, Kristen Bell and Bradley Cooper | See full cast and crew

Grade: D-

Former getaway driver Charlie Bronson jeopardizes his Witness Protection Plan identity in order to help his girlfriend get to Los Angeles. The feds and Charlie's former gang chase them on the road.




Hit and Run is a comedy about a young couple (Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard) that risks it all when they leave their small town life and embark on a road trip that may lead them towards the opportunity of a lifetime. Their fast-paced road trip grows awkwardly complicated and hilarious when they are chased by a friend from the past (Bradley Cooper), a federal marshal (Tom Arnold) and a band of misfits. -- (C) Open Road 
I initially had no intention of seeing this film, having seen the trailer in the theaters, but on the recommendation of a reader of the blog who said she laughed herself sick, I decided to see and review it. Unfortunately, this is one of those times that I should have trusted my first instincts.

I can't honestly write a complete review since this is one of the few films I have ever walked out on. I truly would rather have been almost anywhere but siting in that theater seat. It is taste-free, rude, crude, crass and one of the most profanity laden films I have seen in recent memory. There were more 'F' bombs in the 35 minuets I suffered through (when I finally was driven from the theater), than in three of four average R rated films combined. That is not my idea of entertainment, furthermore it is not something I want to condone and encourage by paying for it. The obscene language and vulgarity rendered the entire film humorless. Admittedly there were a couple of clever lines but they were completely wasted due to the overwhelming sleaze factor. I'm sure the parents of all those involved in this trashy film are so proud of how their little boys and girls have grown up.

All the characters are self indulgent, reprobates with no redeeming qualities, people I could have no sympathy for, certainly people I would have no desire to sit down and have lunch with, I wouldn't even want to have a conversation with any of them, much less to hang out with them, I couldn't even spend an hour and forty minuets with them in the theater. Certainly I could not in good conscience recommend anyone else do so.

The trailer is a bit of bait and switch in that it's language and pictures have been sanitized. It looks like a harmless, quirky comedy. In the trailer they break in to a motel room and you see some old people in their underwear, but in the film the 'senior swingers' are naked and you are treated to the full frontal nudity of a 70 yr. old man...EEOU! 

 Cast
Dax Shepard           Kristen Bell
Yul Perkins                        Annie Bean
a.k.a.Charley Bronson                                        
Tom Arnold          Kristin Chenoweth       Bradley Cooper
Randy Anderson               Debbie Kreeger                              Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment